Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day of the Dead: those who died because they had no health care

Florida Representative (D) Alan GRAYSON Launches Website To Honor, Name Those Dead From Lack Of HealthCare :

http://namesofthedead.com/

"Every year, more than 44,000 Americans die simply because they have no health insurance.
I have created this project in their memory. I hope that honoring them will help us end this senseless loss of American lives. If you have lost a loved one, please share the story of that loved one with us. Help us ensure that their legacy is a more just America, where every life that can be saved will be saved."

Read more here as it was picked up by The Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/21/grayson-launches-site-to_n_328956.html

"I think it dishonors all those Americans who have lost their lives because they had no health coverage, by ignoring them, by not paying attention to them, and by doing nothing to change the situation that led them to lose their lives," the congressman explained. "So I make this simple proposal. I propose that we identify them. I propose that we honor their memory by naming them. They themselves can no longer speak. But their families, the ones who love them, they can speak. And so I have established a website called namesofthedead.com."

No comments: